Proper winterisation is crucial for preserving your boat’s engine during the colder months, especially in Ireland where the weather can get quite chilly. Here’s a detailed guide on how to do it:
- We recommend using propylene glycol-based antifreeze specifically designed for marine engines.
- A flush kit for your boat’s engine
- A hose
- A set of basic hand tools
- A bucket
- Safety gear (gloves, safety glasses)
Steps to Winterise Your Boat Engine with Antifreeze:
Prepare the Boat:
- Begin by removing the boat from the water and placing it on a trailer or a secure storage area.
Flush the Engine:
- Attach the flush kit to the water intake on your boat’s engine.
- You should then connect a hose to the flush kit.
- Once you have done that, turn on the hose and start the engine. This will allow fresh water to circulate through the cooling system and flush out any saltwater or debris.
Drain the Engine:
- After flushing, turn off the engine and disconnect the hose.
- Remove the drain plugs from the engine block, exhaust manifolds, and the lower unit. This will allow any remaining water to drain out.
Prepare the Antifreeze Mixture:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to mix the antifreeze with water to create the proper concentration.
- The recommended mixture is usually 50/50 antifreeze and water.
Use Antifreeze in the Cooling System:
- Reattach the hose to the flush kit.
- Start the engine again and have someone pour the antifreeze mixture into the bucket.
- Slowly pour the antifreeze into the bucket while keeping an eye on the engine’s temperature gauge.
- Once you see pink antifreeze coming out of the exhaust, it means the antifreeze has circulated through the cooling system. This ensures that freezing temperatures do not harm the engine.
Protect Other Systems:
- Don’t forget to also add antifreeze to other systems like the freshwater system, toilet, and any other water-related components on your boat.
Stabilize Fuel and Oil:
- Add a fuel stabilizer to your boat’s fuel tank to prevent ethanol-related issues.
- Change the engine oil to remove any contaminants that may have accumulated during the boating season.
- Remove the boat’s batteries and store them in a cool, dry place. Make sure to keep them charged periodically during the winter.
Cover and Store:
- Finally, cover your boat with a proper boat cover and store it in a dry, sheltered area.
We highly endorse Talamex Antifreeze for your marine engine winterisation needs. This versatile antifreeze is suitable for various applications, including drinking water systems, toilets, heating systems, and motors. Pop into our shop in Portumna to get your hands on a bottle, alternatively you can buy it online at boatspares.ie.
Properly winterising your boat engine with antifreeze is essential to prevent freezing and damage during the colder months. Following these steps will help ensure your boat is ready to hit the water again when spring arrives. Safe boating, fellow water lovers!